Friday, November 12, 2010

Blog Assignment #9: Picturing "The Other"



The following picture was taken when I was on a community service trip in Jamaica, West Indies. I took the photo to adequately capture the beautiful scenery combined with the laidback attitude seen within the two boys. In composing this photograph I decided that the beautiful scenic atmosphere drew the attention of the viewers away from the horrible conditions of the country. My experiences shaped my taking of this photograph because I had seen and understood the horrible conditions of the country, which provoked my intentions. The person in this photograph might have taken a similar picture of me. My nonchalant and blasé attitude would be reflected in my photo. I may be seen sitting down relaxing with my sunglasses on, staring into the ocean. The caption might be something like: “Perri’s view of the world.” “The other” could assume that I am a very relaxed person. This exercise might change the way that I take travel photographs by truly trying to incorporate an individuals characteristics and different aspects of their personality. I would look to take photographs that properly epitomize an individual. When I snap pictures of people that I do not know I will try to really integrate the scenery and try to show how the person is involved in the scenery. In order to represent others properly I think that it first depends on who the person you’re taking the photograph of is and if they do or do not know that the photograph is being taken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment